Oath of Knowledge
The Oath of Knowledge is a sacrosanct writ passed on from generation to generation of scholar. Occasionally, organizations of those scholars band together to form powerful warriors who would avoid such powerful magical knowledge falling into the wrong hands. Their armor and weapons are covered with radiant symbols connecting themselves to arcane leylines or gods of knowledge, and whilst their prowess on the battlefield is strong, their tactical insight is often the reason for their resilient strength.
Tenets of Knowledge
The tenets of the Oath of Knowledge are ancient, created and tested by the most erudite minds of the realm. Those who follow them dedicate themselves to the pursuit of, learning of, and protection of all knowledge.
Search for Knowledge. Society as one knows it is only preserved through the gathering of knowledge – the more one is able to learn, the more one is able to use that knowledge to protect the weak.
Be of Open Mind. To be ignorant is to deny oneself of other perspectives. Too many scholars exclude others due to believing themselves superior. Do not allow this to happen for you – the study of arcane secrets is second to empathy.
Guard Against Ignorance. Do not give those who would seek to destroy knowledge any ground. Even the most terrible secrets have their place – albeit a limited one – and the only reason a person might deign to burn a book is because they fear what is in it. A loss of knowledge is a loss to the greater society as a whole.
Enlighten the World. Do not covet your knowledge in secret or mistake your mission for knowledge as a mission for power. Whilst your scholarship may equip you with great strength, it also strengthens us all. Use your knowledge for good, and use it to equip others with the ability to pay that favor forward.
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.
|3rd||Identify, Detect Magic|
|5th||Augury, See Invisibility|
|9th||Dispel Magic, Blink|
|13th||Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere, Locate Creature|
|17th||Awaken, Legend Lore|
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity Options.
See Truth. You can use your Channel Divinity to find screts surrounding an creature. As an action, you may designate a creature within 60ft of you. The creature must make a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failure, you know ONE of the following things about the creature (player choice);
- One of the creature’s resistances, if any.
- One of the creature’s immunities, if any.
- One of the creature’s vulnerabilities, if any.
- The rough effect of one of the creature’s abilities, such as “This creature as the ability to turn those who look upon it into stone.”
- A secret about the creature (DM chooses), such as: “Lord Pengrath keeps a secret group of warriors disguised as ordinary peasants close by.” or “Maldrath has an innate fear of the darkness.” This secret should be of some significance (DM discretion), but it is not guaranteed that the secret will be particularly useful to the player’s circumstances.
If the creature succeeds on the saving throw, they understand the effects of Find Secrets and may become hostile to you.
Aura of Clarity
Beginning at 7th level, you exude an aura of erudite knowledge which inspires those around you to keep a sound mind. You and any friendly creatures within 10ft of you have advantage on Wisdom and Intelligence Saving Throws.
In addition, you and any friendly creatures within 10ft of you have advantage on Intelligence (Investigation) checks made to see through illusory effects, such as those caused by the Minor Illusion spell.
Starting at 15th level, you may choose to succeed on any Wisdom or Intelligence saving throw that you fail. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1). You regain all spent uses of this feature on a long rest.
Additionally, you gain proficiency in any two of these skills; Arcana, History, Investigation, Nature, Religion.
If you are already proficient in any of these skills, you may choose to gain expertise in them instead.
Avatar of Knowledge
Starting at 20th level, you are able to become a beacon of knowledge, blistering out across a sea of ignorance. You may use your action to gain the following benefits for 1 minute;
- Once per turn, a hostile creature whom you directly speak towards on your turn must succeed on a Wisdom Saving throw or take 20 points of psychic damage. They have disadvantage on this saving throw if you know them by their name, and speak it whilst making use of this feature.
- You cannot be charmed, frightened, paralyzed or stunned.
- Any creature with an intelligence of less than 6 may not move within 10ft of you.
- You are effected by the conditions of the True Seeing spell for the duration.
Once you use this feature, you may not make use of it again until you finish a long rest.